Thursday, September 23, 2010

Broccoli Beef Stir Fry


Here is a simple recipe we had for dinner the other night.  We like this a lot and have it at least once a month, although I will make this disclaimer; this probably isn't a meal that's going to make you say, "WOW, that was the best meal ever!"  but it's still a keeper, otherwise I wouldn't put it on here.  Sheesh, doesn't that just make you want to drop everything and cook it up right now?  Obviously, I would make a terrible salesman. ;o)  

I think the key to making this meal good is don't over cook the meat and cut the meat super thin against/perpendicular to the grain of the meat.  If you look closely, there is a natural grain running through the meat, when you cut it against/perpendicular to the grain, it makes the meat more tender because your mouth has far fewer long fibers to chew through (sorry for all the gory details, I just always like to know the reason behind why you should do something a certain way).  Also, don't be afraid of the cayenne pepper if you don't like heat, it is subtle.  I hope you like it!

Broccoli Beef Stir Fry

1 lb lean steak, sliced thinly, against the grain
1 tbsp Cornstarch
1 1/3 c Water, divided
1 T Canola or Olive Oil
1 large head Broccoli, chopped
3/4 - 1 c Cashews

Marinade

3 tbsp Soy Sauce
3 tbsp Orange Juice
1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tbsp Brown Sugar
3 cloves Garlic, minced
1/4 tsp Red (Cayenne) Pepper Flakes (opt.)

Mix together marinade ingredients.  Add beef to marinade and let sit in refrigerator for at least 20 minutes (the longer the better).  Heat oil in a skillet on high.  Add beef reserving the marinade.  While meat is cooking, add cornstarch and 1/2 cup water to remaining marinade and set aside. Stir fry beef until brown, about 4 minutes.  Remove to a plate. Add 1/3 cup water to skillet.  Bring to a boil, scraping browned bits.  Add to marinade.  Stir fry broccoli 2 minutes, then add 1/2 cup water.  Stir fry 4 minutes.  Add marinade and bring to boil until thick.  Toss in meat and cashews.  Season with salt and pepper.  Serve over brown rice.

P.S. Thank you everyone who joined me yesterday.  I am happy you are here!
P.P.S.  If you don't want to gain weight, I highly suggest NOT buying the huge, monstrous plates I own.  Filling up your plate once at my house is probably equal to filling up a plate twice at your house! ;o)

2 comments:

Janell said...

Yummy! This looks great...I'm going to have to try this one for sure! Thanks for the sweet comments btw!!! My food blog has been so fun! My craft blog is still pretty new...I wish I would have started it a long time ago! :) Happy cooking & crafting!

Lindy said...

That looks so good! I'm not much of a cook but I have to try this. Great job on the post and your blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Related Posts with Thumbnails