Saturday, September 18, 2010

Fresh Salsa


I lied.  I said that I was going to be gone for the weekend but I just had to share one last thing with you before I left.  My husband and I made this salsa and it was so good!  Notice the chips in the picture are little crumbs, we already consumed most of the bag before I thought to take a picture. :)  This is perfect made with garden fresh tomatoes.  Yummy!

We planted a garden this year but some rotten little bug ate it all up before we got much out of it.  We gave up on it weeks ago and pulled most of it out.

the pitiful state of my garden... : (
  Matt calls them squash bugs but I don't know if that's what they are really called.  Does anyone know how to get rid of those things?  Lucky for us, Matt's family planted gardens so we're still able to get our hands on the good stuff.

Sorry there isn't an exact recipe here.  We just put it all together until it was perfect (if I do say so myself ;). These are ROUGH estimates.  Adjust them to your liking!

- 6-10 large tomatoes (I'm completely guessing on this one)
- 1 onion, chopped
-a couple cloves of garlic, pressed
-1 large jalapeno, membranes and seeds removed, finely diced
-1/2 -1 bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
-juice of 1/2 -1 whole lime
-1/2 an (8oz) can tomato sauce
- 1-1 1/2 tsp? salt

Combine everything and enjoy.

I told you I only had rough (very rough) estimates, but with salsa you can't really go wrong.  Just remember, you can always add more of things but you can't take it back out so start adding ingredients in a little bit at a time until you get the flavor you are looking for. Also, the heat in jalapenos comes mainly from the seeds so if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen!  Just kidding.  I meant to say if you can't take the heat get rid of the seeds.  Happy weekend!

1 comment:

Lisa S. said...

They are squash bugs and you can find a safe insecticide that you can sprinkle on your plants. I had them happen to me this year. Also when you plant next year be sure not to plant the same things in the same spot.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Related Posts with Thumbnails