Monday, October 4, 2010

Crepes

Sorry I've been m.i.a. lately.  I am doing a craft booth this Saturday at the New Harmony Apple Festival.  If you live near Southern Utah you should come take a peek.  I have been very busy.  After Saturday I should have some time to show you all the good stuff I've been making!  For now I thought I would share a quick recipe for these yummy things...

We had general conference for our church this past weekend and it's our family tradition to have a nice big breakfast and "juice bar" while we watch the conference on tv.  Crepes seem to be one of our favorite breakfast recipes.

Crepes are super thin pancakes that can be served with just about any toppings you can think of whether sweet or savory.  Some people use these just as you would use a wrap.  We go for the sweet variety for breakfast at our house. Some of my favorite combinations are strawberries with whipped cream and Nutella with sliced bananas.  I hope you like them!

Crepes
 1 1/2 c. milk
1 c. flour
2 T. sugar
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
1 T. oil or melted butter

  Mix everything together.  Lightly oil a nonstick frying pan and bring to medium heat.  Drop in batter (around 1/4 cup at a time) tilt and turn the pan in a circular motion allowing the batter to swirl around and coat the bottom of the pan evenly.  Cook over medium heat until the edges curl.  Turn once and cook for another 10-15 seconds until golden underneath.

When making savory crepes omit the vanilla and sugar and try adding your favorite herbs to the mixture.

The batter can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours or you can cook them all at once and store them in the fridge for several days.  Crepes also store well in the freezer just place them in a resealable plastic bag and they will keep for up to 2 months.  When using frozen crepes allow them to thaw a little before attempting to peel them apart. 

5 comments:

Vanessa Hewell said...

I just tried making crepes for the first time a few days ago! They turned out a bit greasy but I want to try again. I'll use your recipe this time-thanks :)

Corrie said...

I've been looking through your blog and I was wondering, could you do a tutorial on making aprons? They seem so super cute and it would seem right up your alley.

Kelli said...

Corrie,
I have to admit that I have never even worn an apron let alone made one, but I have been doing some searching and found tutorials for some really cute ones. They are so cute, that they make me think that I really "need" one. I will post links to them as soon as I can. Thanks for dropping by.
-Kelli

RonElaine said...

Kelli! I think you are amazing. We want to come to your house for breakfast. How was the Apple Fest?

Kelli said...

Thanks Elaine. You can come over to my house for breakfast anytime! The Apple Festival went pretty good. I think I might even do another one next year, if I do, I will let you know in case you want to join me.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Related Posts with Thumbnails